What is the Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action?
As health-care needs of the American population grow and change, a larger number of better-prepared health-care professionals is required to promote the health of our nation. The Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action marks an unprecedented initiative to address the increased demands for care by utilizing all the skills, talents, knowledge and experience of nurses.
The purpose of the Campaign for Action is to guide implementation of the recommendations of the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) landmark report, Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. The key messages from the report are:
- Nurses should practice to the full extent of their education and training
- Nurses should achieve higher levels of education and training through an improved education system that promotes seamless academic progression
- Nurses should be full partners, with physicians and other health professionals, in redesigning health care in the United States
- Efficient workforce planning and policy making require better data collection and an improved information infrastructure.
With leadership from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and significant partnerships from diverse sectors including physicians, nurses, insurers, consumers, business, government, foundations, academia and health systems, the Campaign for Action will create a transformed health-care workforce through the implementation of the report recommendations. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is building on existing groundwork and creating new collaborations to engage national organizations to commit to playing key roles in guiding implementation. The AARP Center to Champion Nursing in America is an active partner and 36 state-based action coalitions, including California, are moving the recommendations forward at the community and state levels.
A healthy California through nursing leadership and service
To implement the recommendations of the IOM Future of Nursing report through strategic partnerships for a healthy California
- Engaging broad and diverse perspectives
- Increasing and using influence
- Strategic and efficient use of resources
- Improving health outcomes
California Action Coalition Overview
The California Action Coalition serves as the driving force for the implementation of the IOM report recommendations in the state. Recognizing the important work already underway in California and with a goal of long-term sustainable change, the California Action Coalition leads the way to improve the health of the population.